CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008



Craft Lesson 3: How we are Different: Three Billy Goats Gruff, The Three Little Pigs
Resource Material: The Three Billy Goats Gruff, The Three Little Pigs and a picture of brothers and sisters.
Discussion:
Everyone knows that when you have siblings, people expect you to be either vastly different or completely the same. I know that this myth of siblings acting the same because they look the same was broken with my younger sister and me. We look almost identical even though we are 5 years apart, and while our mannerisms are the same, we are two completely different and unique people. I would incorporate each book with a compare and contrast on the characters, I would use a Venn diagram to display how the billy goats and the three little pigs were alike and how they were different. Then I would bring it into focus: being unique in a world full of people.
How to Teach It:
I would first have all of the students put the pictures of their siblings up on the board (for those students who were only children, I would ask them to bring either a picture of their best friends or cousins, or have them draw a picture of what they would want their sibling to look like), and I would have each child introduce themselves and those in the photos. I would ask each student which one of their siblings they were most like and which they differed from the most. As a class we would then read the stories and I would have each story set up with a Venn diagram so that we could discuss how the characters were the “same” and how they were “different.” I would make it a point to explain that although the stories’ characters share many similarities (much like each student does with his/her siblings) they are very unique in their own ideas, thoughts, and actions. After reading the story I would ask the students to make a list of how they believe they are LIKE their siblings, and how they believe they are DIFFERENT than their siblings. This lesson would teach the children that even though they are one of two or three in the family, they have so many things to offer that maybe their other students do not. I would also include my own example of how my sister and I are alike and different to show the kids that I can relate.
Related Topics: gender differences, maturity, individuality, strengths

3 comments:

Madeline said...

Jesica, I love the idea of an activity where the students get to talk about themselves and how they are alike or simliar to their siblings. I think that a lot of times, children may not get a chance to share their feelings about this topic. Great!

MS. RUSSELL'S BLOG said...

Jesica, I like your activity i think it sounds fun and your students will get excited about it. I do agree about the siblings, but of course it sure is a good thing to have siblings. I think you did a good job!

Anonymous said...

Jesica,

I think your activity is gonna be off the frame! The Three Little Pigs and The Three Billy Goats Gruff go hard in the paint! If you read it anytime soon, holla at me so you can read it to me and Davin yo!